I’m a nanny and would never feed my kids pigs in blankets – yes it’s a festive fave but it they can be deadly | The Sun

A NANNY has revealed why she'd never feed her kids pigs in blankets at Christmas, and it's probably not for the reason you think.

Danielle – aka the Enchanted Nanny – has learned over the years that numerous things that become more common over the festive season are huge choking hazards.



And pigs in blankets, or sausages wrapped in bacon, are one of them.

"They're literally a combination of two of the most chokeable things that we sometimes offer to our children – sausages and bacon," she said in a video on her TikTok page.

"Sausages are the perfect cylindrical shape to get stuck in the airway or windpipe.

"They don't break down, and it's difficult to retrieve them.

Read more Parenting stories

DIVIDING OPINION

Teen mum sparks fierce debate with 'junk' brekkie she gives her toddler

MUM'S THE WORD

Are you a sofa, crunchy or attachment mum like Kourtney K – take our quiz

"Bacon doesn't break down when children chew it, so the fat will often cause a little bit of a choking or retching hazard.

"It's also quite stringy."

She added that she tries to avoid the festive treat when under fives are in the house or, if not, she chops them up "really, really tiny" to ensure they aren't a choking hazard.

Button batteries are next on the list – a commonly-known hazard for young children, and one Danielle does her best not to allow in the house.

Most read in Fabulous

DREAM DISCOUNT

Forget the Primark PJs – I found some in Sainsbury’s that are cheaper

DI-WOW

I got a damp caravan for free and used cheap Shein buys to give it a new look

BARGAIN HUNT

How to get FREE M&S goodies throughout December

SKIMS-CREDIBLE

Fashion fans racing to Primark to bag new pyjamas that are better than SKIMS

She always reminds family "very nicely" not to buy any toys that contain the small batteries, suggesting vouchers instead, or a wooden toy that's unlikely to have one inside.

It's also a good idea to go for a fake tree if possible, as pine needles from a real tree are "sharp, small and will go in the mouth".

As such, they can "poke the back of the throat or the roof of the mouth, cause swelling and cause a lot of problems".

Marshmallows is also one of Danielle's biggest fears – whether they're big, small or the giant ones.

"As soon as they go in the mouth, or as soon as they go in a hot chocolate, they do start to become sticky and heat up," she said.

"Make sure you have something else on offer and if you really, really don't want a Christmas without marshmallows, try and melt them as much as possible before you offer them to a child and certainly don't give them to them dry."

Popcorn is another food to avoid, as it's "very easy to inhale into the airway", while a cheese board – despite the fact you might not realise – is also a choking hazard.

As well as the cheese itself, particularly if it's a hard cheese, being potentially dangerous, there are also often grapes on there too.

And, as many parents know, grapes are one of the biggest choking hazards of all.

If you are having a cheese board and have children in the house, quarter them to make sure they don't get stuck in any little throats.

Brussel sprouts are another food Danielle avoids giving to her kids whole – preferring to cut them in half and overcook them slightly to make them safer.

She also won't let her kids have boiled sweets or lollipops – which she called a "sugar-coated marble" – and is also super careful with sweet wrappers as they often get balled up and thrown onto the floor where they can be picked up by babies or children.

If you have Christmas crackers, try and get the ones just with a joke and a hat rather than the "tiny little toys" – which can be flung onto the floor when pulled.

And you also need to be really careful with packaging, such as the tiny wire closures or clear transparent plastic.

Read More on The Sun

STAR POWER

Cheap Spanish beach town with most sunny days a year loved by Hollywood's A-list

DRY AS A BONE

Never use your dryer thanks to washing machine button people ALWAYS ignore  

"I know that you will see the mums with the bin bag at Christmas, ready for all the wrap and packaging – have a big box instead because obviously the bin bag itself is a hazard," she said.

"And while we're distracted and there's a lot going on – all these things can happen very, very quickly."


Source: Read Full Article