A dad-of-two who previously admitted to smashing up the entrance to a Travelodge hotel has admitted why he did it.
John Manley caused significant damage to the front of the Edge Lane hotel on January 21 this year.
The 35-year-old appeared at Liverpool Crown Court today for the first day of what was to be his trial.
The labourer had previously admitted causing criminal damage and damaging property being reckless as to whether life was endangered, reports the Liverpool Echo.
But today he admitted that he put people's lives in danger at the construction site.
Manley, who was treated in hospital for mental health issues after the incident, pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving.
Trevor Parry-Jones, prosecuting, said the pleas were acceptable to the Crown Prosecution Service.
He said the Crown would offer no evidence on the charge of dangerous driving at Manley's sentencing.
The incident, which was filmed by several witnesses on mobile phones, made headlines across the UK.
Footage showed the tracked vehicle mounting the hotel steps and entering the lobby through its glass entrance.
As the digger ripped into the Travelodge, some witnesses could be heard exclaiming "oh my God".
Others appeared to be laughing and cheering, as the driver shouted that he was owed money.
Brendan Carville, defending, said his client accepted he intended to cause damage.
He said Manley knew he would be sent to prison, but requested an adjournment for a psychiatric report.
Mr Carville said: "He's a family man and the concession is this is going to be immediate custody.
"He's had problems and there was social problems which caused this offence, notably the failure of his immediate employers to pay him over the Christmas period, then asking him to work for nothing on the eve of this offence.
"He has two young children your honour."
Source: Read Full Article