Martin Lewis gives people £500 isolation payment reminder as Covid cases rise

Money guru Martin Lewis has issued an isolation payment reminder as coronavirus cases rise again.

The Money Saving Expert, who is also presenting on Good Morning Britain this week, has reminded parents of children who have to isolate that they could be eligible for a £500 payment.

According to North Wales Live, Martin, 49, took to Facebook on Monday (June 28) to issue the reminder as a rising number of children face having to isolate due to school coronavirus cases.

Parents who are on low incomes and are left unable to work due to such a case can claim the money.

In order to claim the payment, your child must have been formally told to isolate.

This means you won't be able to get the payment if your child has been told to isolate by the NHS app.

To qualify, the child must attend school, further education or childcare (up to and including year 11 or up to age 25 if they have complex needs) and have been formally told to self-isolate.

This has to be either by the NHS Test, Trace Protect service or the child's school, nursery or further education setting.

Those who wish to apply can do so via their local authority.

For parents to be eligible, they need to be working and also getting one of either Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

Those who don't get any of the above benefits but are on a low income can apply for discretionary payment from their local authority, where consideration will be made as to whether the inability to work will cause financial hardship.

Applying for the payment

Parents will need to provide confirmation of when their child was told to isolate and proof they are getting one of the benefits listed in the eligibility criteria.

If you're employed you'll also need:

  • Latest bank statement (within the last 2 months showing proof of earnings)
  • Latest payslip (within the last 2 months showing proof of earnings)
  • Bank name, sort code and account number (all payments are BACS bank transfer only)

If you're self-employed you'll also need:

  • Latest business bank statement (within the last 2 months)
  • Most recent set of accounts or self-assessment return
  • Bank name, sort code and account number (all payments are BACS bank transfer only)

After applying made, people will be contacted by email or letter to let them know if they have been successful. No appeal process is available.

If your child is told to self-isolate, you can only claim one payment for the household at the time of the self-isolation period.

Overall, three payments can be made to parents or carers in respect of children self-isolating provided the eligibility criteria is met if asked to isolate more than once.

Source: Read Full Article