Harry and Meghan’s trademark bid for Archewell hits stumbling block with US lawyers

PRINCE Harry and Meghan Markle's plan to trademark Archewell has hit a setback at the hands of US lawyers.

The pair want their non-profit organisation Archewell Foundation and Spotifty podcast series Archewell Audio to be protected by company law in America – but their bid has hit a stumbling block.

🔵 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest updates


Documents were filed to the US Patent and Trademark Office by the couple, requesting sole use of the terms.

But their bid hasn't had a smooth outcome as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been told their applications need clarification if they are to be made into law, reports the Mail.

Applying for Archewell Audio's trademark, the pair said the company was for the "creation, development, production and distribution of podcasts, audio programmes, music, and audio books" and would create "live podcast performances, live stage performances, live music performances, and live audio-book readings".

But the trademark lawyers replied that the "applicant must clarify that these are entertainment-based services" and "specify the nature of the 'live stage performances".

In regards to the couple's application for their Archewell Foundation, the office requested their legal team define the type of web apps they want to provide.

Meghan and Harry have reportedly been given six months to respond to clarification on documents issued on June 25, or both applications will be shelved.

It comes after Harry claimed he had to make deals with Netflix and Spotify after revealing to Oprah he had been "cut off" by the Royal Family following Megxit.


The Sussexes said they had "no plan" after quitting the Royal Family – and hadn't considered the megabucks deals until a friend suggested it.

Speaking to Oprah about the streaming deal, the 36-year-old said: "We didn't have a plan.

"That was suggested by somebody else by the point of where my family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford security for us."

But since signing their £18million Spotify podcast deal, Harry and Meghan have broadcast just 35 minutes of content.

Streaming giant bosses were “looking forward to a full-scale launch of shows” this year.

But the Sussexes have yet to follow up their Christmas 2020 special, published under their Archewell Audio brand.

They are on parental leave with daughter Lilibet Diana and royal author Phil Dampier said: “We’re being told they’re having up to five months off and people who are paying them a lot of money will expect something in return.

“They seem to be using up a lot of ammunition very early and putting a lot of stuff out there in terms of deals and agreements with lots of firms.

“The question might be asked whether they have too much on their plate.”

PR guru Mark Borowski said Harry and Meghan may have pre-recorded shows ready for broadcast between now and 2022.

He added: “Even if the shows haven’t materialised yet, it’s a win-win for Spotify to have two of the most famous people in the world connected to them.

“But Harry and Meghan will be under scrutiny to deliver. What are these guys going to produce? What do they stand for?

“Having just had a baby and dealing with Covid too might explain the delay.

“It might be different if they weren’t so keen on having full control over output.”

Harry and Meghan, who have an £11million mansion in Montecito, US, signed a multi-year deal to produce podcasts that promote “diverse and inspiring voices”.

It is understood they were not paid their full £18million fee up front. The entire value will only be honoured if obligations are met — including regular content.

Meanwhile, a royal expert has claimed that Prince William avoided talking about his rift with Harry as all discussions have to go through Meghan.

Richard Eden said that when the two brothers were seen chatting on Thursday during an event to unveil a statue for their mum Diana, they probably did not discuss any serious topics.

The expert claimed that even though the Duke of Cambridge and Duke of Sussex seemed close at the ceremony on July 1, it is unlikely that they spoke about the ongoing tensions between them, the Daily Mail reports.

Mr Eden said: "Whatever discussions they’ve had between Harry and William whether it’s about the football or whatever while Harry’s here, they won’t have been very serious.

"I mean William knows [that] without Meghan being there, there’s no point in discussing anything serious, because it will have to go through her anyway."

Pals fear that the divide between the two brothers may never heal as William finds it impossible to trust Harry after his interview with Oprah.

    Source: Read Full Article