Hundreds 'suffer carbon monoxide poisoning at Christmas party'

Around 200 people ‘suffer carbon monoxide poisoning at Christmas party at Turkish restaurant and are HOSPITALISED after feeling nauseous and light-headed’

  • Around 200 people were allegedly poisoned at a Christmas party in Chingford 
  • An source claimed that a hospital ‘started to run out of oxygen’ amid the crisis
  • The Chingford Gokyuzu branch has declined to comment 

Around 200 people were hospitalised last night after suffering carbon-monoxide poisoning at a London Christmas party, an NHS worker has claimed.

A hospital staff member has come forward about a ‘major incident’ which is believed to have occurred last night following an event at a Gokyuzu restaurant in Chingford, Waltham Forest.

Numerous people who attended the Christmas party were said to have fallen ill and initially believed they had food poisoning.

But it is claimed they were actually experiencing symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning due to a leak in the restaurant.

Numerous people who attended the Gokyuzu (pictured) Christmas party were said to have fallen ill and initially believed they had food poisoning

The employee, who asked to remain anonymous, alleged: ‘People were just at the restaurant eating and then everybody just started falling ill – they all thought they had food poisoning.

‘They were calling 111 and they sent them to our hospital and because there was 200 people. They had to split them up and send them to different hospitals around London.

‘But all the patients who booked in – we had about 40 patients – all had high levels of carbon monoxide in their system, and they were all from that same Christmas party.’

Symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning include nausea, light-headedness, headaches, shortness of breath, and dizziness.

The University College Hospital, Whittington Hospital and Royal Free Hospital were said to be the locations where patients were referred.

The source claimed that Christmas party attendees started arriving to their hospital at around 11pm on Wednesday and continued showing up until 4am. 

A Twitter user also claimed that her mum had been at the Christmas party in Chingford, and said: ‘My mum went for a work Christmas dinner at Gokyuzu and they’ve had some type of carbon-monoxide leak, where they’ve affected over 30 people and now I’m in the A&E with my mum who is showing signs of heart palpitations, faintness, confusion and dizziness.

 The University College Hospital, Whittington Hospital (pictured) and Royal Free Hospital were said to be the locations of where patients were referred

‘Found extremely high levels of carbon-monoxide in her blood from exposure in this restaurant. Thank God she’s ok – could’ve went very wrong.’  

The alleged incident came just a day after 10,000 medics walked out of hospitals across England and Wales for the second time in a week over a pay dispute.

Pressure upon the NHS has been so high that patients have even been told to ask themselves ‘am I going to die?’ before turning to emergency services.

The alleged incident came just a day after 10,000 medics walked out of hospitals across England and Wales for the second time in a week over a pay dispute

The NHS worker continued: ‘We started to run out of oxygen cylinders.

‘Imagine all of a sudden having 40 patients turn up and having to find space because they all need oxygen.’

The Turkish restaurant is still accepting bookings on its website. 

A staff member confirmed that they were aware of the carbon-monoxide incident but Gokyuzu declined to comment.

The NHS was also approached for comment.

MailOnline is awaiting comment from the UK Health Security Agency.

Source: Read Full Article