Husband caught buying petrol to set wife alight and burn her to death

Moment husband is caught on CCTV buying petrol before using it to set Eddy Grant’s niece alight and burn her to death after she threw him out of their home

  • Damion Simmons, 45, charged with murder of Denise Keane-Simmons last year
  • Ms Keane-Simmons died after having petrol poured on her head and set alight
  • Estranged husband admitted manslaughter and disclosing private photographs
  • He denied murder, voyeurism and arson with intent to endanger life
  • Jury cleared him of voyeurism but convicted him of murder and arson with intent to endanger life

Harrowing footage showing a jealous husband buying a can of petrol before going to burn his estranged wife to death has been released a day after he was convicted of her murder.

Handyman Damion Simmons, 45, broke into the north-west London house he had shared with Denise Keane-Simmons, 36, to pour petrol over her head and set her alight. 

Simmons escaped by jumping from a bathroom window as flames ripped through the terraced house in Harlesden and a family friend was rescued from her bedroom. 

Mrs Keane-Simmons ran in terror into her room and locked the door behind her, and later died in hospital from terrible burns and the effects of smoke inhalation.

Simmons was yesterday convicted of her murder and other charges by a jury at the Old Bailey.

Damion Simmons, 45, has been convicted of murdering of his estranged wife Denise Keane-Simmons, after turning up at her home to pour petrol over her head and set her alight

Harrowing footage released by the court shows Simmons, believed to be carrying a can of petrol, travel seven miles by bus to his estranged wife’s home where he broke into and doused her in the fuel before setting her alight

Today the court released CCTV footage of Simmons collecting the petrol he would use to killed his wife in the early hours of April 16 last year.

Dressed all in black, Simmons is seen walking up to a petrol station pump in Hornsey, seven miles from Ms Keane-Simmons’ house, at around 10.30pm the evening before. He is carrying a small green jerrycan that he proceeds to fill up.

Mrs Keane-Simmons, a teaching assistant whose mother was married to the Electric Avenue musician’s brother, was found on her bedroom floor 

Another clip shows him onboard a bus as he makes his way to Ms Keane-Simmons’ house with a silver-coloured rope strap bag on his back, believed to be holding the petrol.

The Met Police report that he arrived at his wife’s home and at around 2.10am, started pouring petrol through the letterbox into the house. 

He then smashed through a window to get into the house, before finding Ms Keane-Simmons and dousing her in petrol and setting her on fire.

Simmons admitted he was ‘jealous and controlling’ but insisted he wanted to die in front of his wife when he started the fire.

But the Old Bailey heard how he posted naked pictures of her on Instagram hours before the fire and left her a voicemail message saying: ‘I really hope you suffer and die’ as he walked to the house with the petrol.

He had poured the accelerant through the letter box first then broke into the house when he could not reach far enough to set it alight.

The jury convicted the expressionless handyman of murder as Mrs Keane-Simmons’ elderly female relatives sobbed and hugged each other in court.

Judge Philip Katz said told the jury of five women and seven men that the gruesome case had been so ‘troubling’ he would excuse them from sitting on another trial for ten years.

He said Simmons’ sentence will be ‘a very long one.’

The court heard the couple had met online in 2017 when he was living in Trinidad and Mrs Keane-Simmons flew out to marry him there a year later.

Petite English graduate Mrs Keane-Simmons, who was 4ft 11 ins tall and weighed just eight stone, worked as a teaching assistant.

Dressed all in black, Simmons is seen walking up to a petrol station pump in Hornsey, seven miles from Ms Keane-Simmons’ house, at around 10.30pm the evening before. He is carrying a small green jerrycan that he proceeds to fill up

Mrs Keane-Simmons has been married before but that relationship ended when her husband was convicted of robbery and deported.

Her mother was married to the Electric Avenue musician’s brother.

Simmons had a young daughter from his previous marriage and he jumped at the chance to move in with his wife at her mother’s home in Alric Avenue, Harlesden.

But he soon became surly and manipulative and he tried to stop his wife going out on her own or dancing with other men at parties.

He was critical about the money she spent while making her pay for his mobile phone and demanding up to £300 a time from her for ‘a drink.’

The problems got worse after Mrs Keane-Simmons’s mother died and left the house to her daughter in December 2019.

At a wake held for the mother in her old home, Simmons drunkenly objected to his wife’s former boyfriends being present shouting: ‘I’m the man of the house.’

Forensics at the scene of the fire in Brent, North West London, in April 2020

After the police were called to a violent incident at the end of January, Mrs Keane-Simmons threw him out of the house and changed the locks.

She found that night that before he left Simmons had fitted a secret camera disguised as a lightbulb in the bedroom.

Simmons was forced to move into a one-bedroomed flat with his mother and conditions were so cramped he had to share her bed.

He spent the months leading up to the fire on the night of April 15 last year harassing his wife by bombarding her with emails and text messages from his and other’s people’s phones.

Simmons turned up at her school in Holloway, banged on her front door and badgered her friends.

On the night of the fire he posted the naked pictures as he travelled to Alric Avenue with a gallon of petrol.

When her friend called him to complain about the pictures he cackled down the phone and hung up.

Ms Keane-Simmons was the niece of Eddy Grant, a founding member of The Equals who had a successful solo career with the hit single Electric Avenue

Another friend who rang up about the pictures was told: ‘Let her suffer like I did and feel humiliated like I do.’

Mrs Keane-Simmons called the police over the Instagram posts and when officers arrived the handyman was already skulking in the front garden with the petrol can.

She gave an statement to officers that read: ‘This incident has left me feeling emotionally drained… There seems to be no end to his behaviour, and I do not expect a personal picture of mine be published to publicly.

‘I feel anxious about leaving my house as his behaviour is so unpredictable and just want to live my life without that worry of Damion.’

Around 30 minutes after the officers had left the house, Simmons went to the front door and poured petrol through the letter box.

He then went to the front of the house and smashed a bay window to break in.

Maureen Lalgie, the friend of the victim who was staying at the house heard Mrs Keane-Simmons shouting ‘Who the f*** are you?’.

She then heard the terror in Denise’s voice when she asked: ‘What are you doing?’.

‘I did not hear Denise’s voice again. I heard bangs and explosions which was as if something had been thrown into the house,’ Mrs Lalgie said.

‘Then everything went quiet.

‘I went to look and as I went toward my bedroom door I could see smoke coming under my bedroom door.’

Mrs Lalgie shouted for help from her bedroom window and was rescued after a neighbour fetched a ladder and firefighters helped her down.

Simmons had doused the living room, stairs and upstairs landing with petrol before he was confronted by his wife.

He poured more petrol over her head and shoulders and then flicked his lighter to set her ablaze.

Simmons was burned on the wrist and back of the leg as he turned away from his burning wife and may have thrown the rest of the petrol at her before he ran to the bathroom to put himself out.

He jumped from the window and before apparently groaning to paramedics ‘Just let me die’ when he was found in the garden.

Firefighters battled through flames and thick smoke to reach Mrs Keane-Simmons but she was later pronounced dead in hospital.

Simmons spent 12 days in hospital with police at his bedside after initially refusing treatment.

He told the jury he wanted to burn himself to death in front of his wife but had not intended to harm her.

‘I just wanted to die. She had to see me die…just so she would be tormented by the fact she had seen me kill myself,’ he said.

He said after he broke in he was confronted by Mrs Keane-Simmons on the landing upstairs.

‘I remember taking the petrol can. I was about to pour it. I had the lighter in my left hand,’ he said.

‘As I was about to pour petrol, I don’t know if she grabbed it or hit it out my hand.

‘I remember petrol pouring on me.

‘I remember trying to pick up the petrol can and lighting the lighter. All I can remember as I did so was a big wall of flames.’

Prosecutors said Simmons would not have poured petrol in through the letter box if he wanted to kill himself but he said he ‘could not remember’ doing it.

The court heard he Googled ‘what is the best way to use a knife and kill someone?’, ‘Insanity in English Law’, and ‘cases where the insanity defence worked’.

‘I wasn’t in my right mind,’ he told jurors.

Simmons, of no fixed address, denied murder, voyeurism and arson with intent to endanger life.

He admitted manslaughter and disclosing private sexual photographs of the teaching assistant with intent to cause distress.

The jury cleared him of voyeurism and did not find that the camera he admitted fitting in the bedroom was for sexual purposes.

But he was convicted of murder and arson with intent to endanger life.

Simmons will be sentenced on September 22. 

Source: Read Full Article