ISREAL has threatened Hamas with days of air strikes after the group launched a rocket attack on Jerusalem yesterday.
Hamas, the militant group which controls Gaza, fired the missiles after Israeli cops decided to storm a compound at the al-Aqsa mosque.
According to Channel 12 in Israel, Palestinian officials have reached out to their Jewish counterparts in a bid to agree a ceasefire.
Yet, the report says Israel has refused with officials saying Hamas has not paid a sufficient price for the rocket attacks.
The Israeli military says 630 missiles were fired from Gaza yesterday with 150 failing to reach Israeli territory.
Some 200 missiles were intercepted by Tel Aviv's Iron Dome defence system which destroys rockets which are fired towards populated areas.
Meanwhile, a 13-storey residential block in the Gaza Strip collapsed today after being hit by an Israeli air strike, witnesses said.
Video footage showed thick plumes of smoke rising from the tower, its upper storeys still intact until it collapsed to the ground.
The building houses an office that is used by the political leadership of Gaza's Islamist rulers Hamas.
Residents of the tower and people living nearby had been warned to evacuate the area around an hour before the air strike, according to witnesses.
It was not immediately clear if the building had been fully evacuated, or if there were casualties.
Israel had sent 80 jets to bomb Gaza today and massed tanks on the border as rocket barrages hit Israeli towns for a second day, deepening a conflict in which at least 28 people in the Palestinian enclave.
Two people in Israel have also lost their lives.
The holy city of Jerusalem has been tense during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, with the threat of a court ruling evicting Palestinians from homes claimed by Jewish settlers adding to the friction.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel would step up its strikes on Gaza, an enclave of two million people, in response to the rocket attacks.
"Both the strength of the attacks and the frequency of the attacks will be increased," he said in a statement.
Within an hour, Israel said it had deployed 80 jets to bomb rocket launch sites in and around Gaza City.
Plumes of smoke rose from densely populated residential areas.
Officials said infantry and armour were being dispatched to reinforce the tanks already gathered on the border, evoking memories of the last Israeli ground incursion into Gaza to stop rocket attacks, in 2014.
More than 2,100 Gazans were killed in the seven-week war that followed, according to the Gaza health ministry, along with 73 Israelis, and thousands of homes in the area were destroyed.
Today, before the block collapsed, the Gaza health ministry said at least 28 Palestinians, including 10 children, had been killed and 152 wounded by Israeli strikes since Hamas on Monday fired rockets towards Jerusalem for the first time since 2014.
Israel's national ambulance service said two women had been killed in rocket strikes on the southern city of Ashkelon.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) urged all sides to step back and reminded them of the requirement in international law to try to avoid civilian casualties.
Source: Read Full Article