THE terminally ill dad of a man found dead in Michael Barrymore's pool has hired a top lawyer to fight for answers surrounding his son's death.
Terry Lubbock is hoping his barrister can secure a second inquest – as he reveals he has "just months left to live".
The 76-year-old, who has terminal prostate cancer, has hired lawyer Alan Payne – who was involved in the probe into the crash which killed Princess Diana.
They hope together they can use "new evidence" to win permission to apply to the High Court for a new inquest into son Stuart's death, and finally get "justice".
Terry told The Mirror: "I've only a few months left. I want justice for my son before I go.
"We’ve got a big-gun barrister working on this. We are getting close."
Entertainer Michael Barrymore was one of the UK's most popular TV presenters when the body of Stuart Lubbock was found in his swimming pool on March 31, 2001.
The case of Stuart's death remains undetermined and an inquest in 2002 recorded an open verdict.
Stuart, a factory supervisor and dad-of-two from Harlow, was just 31 when he died.
A post-mortem examination revealed he had taken a cocktail of drugs at the party including cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamine, and he also had alcohol in his system.
The 31-year-old also suffered severe internal injuries that suggested he was sexually assaulted.
Barrymore and two other men were later arrested but no one has been charged over Stuart's death.
The entertainer has continuously denied any wrongdoing.
Essex Police launched a fresh investigation last year, which coincided with the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary, Barrymore: The Body In The Pool.
Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Jennings said that officers had been wrong to assume it was an accidental drowning and not to secure the scene.
He said: "I believe that [Stuart] was raped and murdered that night.
"One or more of those party-goers are responsible for that serious sexual assault on Stuart Lubbock."
Terry says he would like police to tell an inquest jury why they believe that.
The Attorney General turned down Terry's bid for a second inquest two years ago, but he hopes this time will be different.
He said: "The first inquest was either a mess up or a cover-up.
"Our own team have been working on the case and have dug up new evidence. We are going for a second inquest.
"It will reveal everything. Whoever did this to my son has got away with it for 20 years, but not for much longer.
"I can’t die without knowing there will be a second inquest because then I feel sure the truth will come out."
Mr Payne said: "Terry is a man of great dignity and principle.
"I was grateful for the chance to help identify steps that might be taken to try to get greater clarity as to events surrounding his son’s death."
Terry was diagnosed with cancer at the Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow, Essex, after falling in January.
He lives in a care home less than three miles from 68-year-old Barrymore's former home in Roydon where Stuart died.
Source: Read Full Article