Two men stabbed in London as post-lockdown violence explodes

Bloodshed in Broadgate Circle: Two men are stabbed in London’s financial district – as post-lockdown violence explodes in capital with 10 murders in two weeks

  • City of London Police said two men were stabbed at Broadgate Circle last night
  • Yesterday’s attacks are the latest in a spate of unrelated shootings and stabbings
  • Police were called to Victoria Road, Kilburn, at 10.24pm on Thursday 
  • Man in 30s was taken to a London hospital but pronounced dead soon after   
  • Local musician Colton Bryan was pronounced dead in Redditch, on July 15 
  • Ahmed Yasin-Ali was killed after attack in Elmfield Way, Maida Vale, west London 

Another two men were stabbed in London last night as violence explodes in the capital with the total number of murders up to 10 in two weeks. 

The City of London Police said the stabbings took place at Broadgate Circle in London’s main financial district at about 11pm. 

It is understood their injuries are not life-threatening and the incident is not being treated by officers as terror-related.

Post-lockdown violence has spiralled out of control in the past two weeks, with police stepping up patrols amid a wave of shootings and stabbings.

The attacks come after statistics released by the Office for National Statistics yesterday showed that knife cries in England and Wales had risen six per cent to a record high and homicides by 10 per cent in the last year. 

In a statement the force said: ‘Our officers are currently dealing with an isolated incident in Broadgate Circle, in which two people have been stabbed.

‘Their injuries are not thought to be life threatening and they are being treated by @Ldn_Ambulance.’

The City of London Police said the stabbings took place at Broadgate Circle in London’s main financial district at about 11pm. It is understood their injuries are not life-threatening and the incident is not being treated by officers as terror-related

In a statement the force said: ‘Our officers are currently dealing with an isolated incident in Broadgate Circle, in which two people have been stabbed. Their injuries are not thought to be life threatening and they are being treated by @Ldn_Ambulance’ 

The attack comes after statistics released by the Office for National Statistics yesterday showed that knife cries in England and Wales had risen six per cent to a record high and homicides by 10 per cent in the last year

Data shows that there has now been more than 60 murders in the capital this year 

Police arrest two men aged 19 and 24 after a 27-year-old man is gunned down on a residential London street 

 Two men have been arrested following the murder of a man in Harlesden, north west London on Thursday. 

The victim, who is a 27-year-old man, was found by police and paramedics lying on the street following reports of gunshots at 3am. 

Police at the scene attempted to provide first aid but the man died at the scene a short time afterwards. 

Two men have been arrested following the murder of a 27-year-old man in Harlesden, north west London at 3am today 

The victim was gunned down on Windrush Road, Harlesden at 3am. Detectives spent today combing the area for clues

The incident happened on Windrush Road, Harlesden at 3am. 

Scotland Yard said two men, aged 19 and 24 have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently in police custody. 

A team of specialist officers have met with the victim’s family and informed them of the murder. 

The victim’s name has not yet been released.  

A follow up search found a metallic grey Land Rover Discovery in the nearby St Raphael’s Estate. 

The car had been burned out and detectives believe it may have been linked to the murder. 

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Stancombe of the Specialist Crime Command, who is leading the investigation said: ‘We know that a number of shots were fired and, despite it being in the early hours of the morning, several people were out in the street and would have seen what happened. 

A man has died and his loved ones will now face terrible grief. The person responsible for this killing does not deserve protection and anyone who has information should come forward and speak to us.

Two men, aged 19 and 24 have been arrested on suspicion of the man’s murder

‘I am appealing to anyone with phone footage of the incident, or in the moments before and after, to come forward. You could be holding vital clues and, by sending it to us, you can help keep our communities safer.’I have got a dedicated team who will be trawling through CCTV for evidence and making sure no stone is left unturned as we try and track whoever took this young man’s life.’

 

On Thursday night, police launched two more separate murder investigations after two men in their 30s were killed on London’s streets.

Police were called to the scene outside a McDonald’s on Victoria Road in Kilburn, north London, following reports that a man had been stabbed at around 10.24pm.

The victim, believed to be in his mid-30s, was taken to a central London hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after.

Just hours later, a second murder investigation was launched after a man in his 30s was stabbed in Enfield, north London, and rushed to North Middlesex Hospital where, despite the best efforts of doctors, he was pronounced dead.     

Last night the family of a schoolboy stabbed to death in Westminster have paid tribute to him as police arrested two men in the ongoing murder investigation. 

Ahmed Yasin-Ali, 18, was found injured in Elmfield Way, Maida Vale, at around 12.30am on Wednesday, the Metropolitan Police said.

Police officers gave him first aid and land and air ambulance crews were called, but he died in hospital shortly after 1am.

In a statement issued by Scotland Yard, his devastated family said: ‘Our beloved son, brother and friend peacefully passed away on Wednesday morning. He was loved by all and will forever be missed.

‘Caring, loving, and by far the most clean-hearted of us all. He wanted nothing but good for everyone and himself, striving hard in his school work and job to make it to university in order to provide our family with a better life.’

A memorial appeal launched on GoFundMe has raised more than £10,000 target.

The family say the money will be used to create a well in his name and to go toward funeral costs.

They added any leftover funds will be donated to charities. 

The family added: ‘Our family wants to prevent such devastating acts from happening ever again, this means that we are fully cooperating with the police and respect the law.

‘The last thing we need is any retaliation or revenge.

‘We as Muslims forgive those who so painfully took away our precious and beautiful son. Forever in our hearts, our neighbourhood hero.’

On Friday, a 23-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy were both arrested on suspicion of murder, the Metropolitan Police said. They remain in custody.

Detectives have appealed for anybody who may have heard a disturbance on Elmfield Way or seen a vehicle driving at speed on the nearby Harrow Road around the time of the incident to come forward.

Det Chief Insp Vicky Tunstall said: ‘Ahmed’s family are devastated by the loss of their son and brother and we are working tirelessly to investigate the circumstances surrounding his murder.

‘Ahmed was only 18 years old, had his whole life ahead of him and had aspirations to attend university, so this is a particularly tragic and wasted loss of life.

‘I would also like to appeal to those in the community who may hear, or know information about this tragic death.

‘I can assure you, this information will be treated with sensitivity and care, and I ask you to trust that we will take appropriate action and can provide complete confidentiality, if that is your concern.

‘Importantly, as a specialist command, we are working very closely with the local police to ensure the safety of the community during this time, and ask that you support us in this and provide information, regardless of the relevance it may or may not have.

‘I am determined to ensure those responsible for his death are brought to justice as swiftly as possible.’ 

Ten people have been killed in London in the two weeks as the capital begins to emerge from lockdown, with one expert warning of a coming ‘tsunami’ of crime as the UK gets ‘the backwash of everything that’s happened’ during lockdown.  

Yesterday a Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: ‘Detectives have launched a murder investigation following a stabbing in north London. 

‘Police were called at 22:24hrs on Thursday, 16 July to reports of a man stabbed in the area of Victoria Road, NW6. 


The family of Ahmed Yasin-Ali (left), 18, have paid tribute to him after he was stabbed to death. Colton Bryan (right), who was in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene after police were called to a property in Redditch, Worcestershire at around 9.30pm on July 15

Officers stand at the scene after Ahmed was found injured in the latest stabbing in London

‘Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended. The victim, believed to be aged in his mid-30s, was taken to a central London hospital where he was pronounced dead at 22:57hrs.

‘Officers are in the process of informing next of kin. Formal identification awaits.

‘A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.

‘Detectives from the Specialist Crime Command have been informed.

‘A crime scene remains in place.  There have been no arrests and enquiries continue.’  

Hours later, officers were called to Lytton Avenue in Enfield at 4.45am following reports that four men were engaged in a fight and a man had been put into a vehicle.

A short while later officers became aware of a man, aged in his 30s, who had been taken from the scene to North Middlesex Hospital suffering a single stab wound. 

The graph shows the level of murders in London throughout 2020 – with a notable drop during the lockdown period from March to May

Police launched a murder probe after a man in his 30s was stabbed in Kilburnon Thursday

Police officers on scene in Enfield where another man was stabbed to death on Thursday night 

Police were called to the scene at 10.24pm and the man, believed to be in his mid-30s, was taken to a central London hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after. Pictured: Police stand at the scene of the stabbing 

Despite the best efforts of doctors, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.  

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: ‘Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man in Enfield.

‘Police were called at 04:45hrs on Friday, 17 July, to a report of four men fighting in Lytton Avenue, Enfield and a man being put into a vehicle.

‘A short while later, at approximately 05:01hrs, officers who were present at North Middlesex Hospital, N18, became aware of a man, aged in his 30s, who had been brought there suffering a single stab wound.

‘Despite the best efforts of doctors, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

‘Police are working to identify and inform the victim’s next of kin. Formal identification awaits and a post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.

‘Three men, no further details, have been arrested on suspicion of murder; all remain in custody.

‘Enquiries into the circumstances continue.’ 

Figures from the ONS today revealed police-recorded offences involving a knife or sharp instrument rose to 46,265 for the year to March.

This was 51 per cent higher than when data of this kind was first collected in 2011 and is the highest number on record, the report said.

The number of such offences rose seven per cent in London, but dropped 10 per cent in West Yorkshire and remained the same in the West Midlands – the three areas of the country with the highest rate per 100,000 population.

Floral tributes are laid on the ground after the man was stabbed on Victoria Road last night

A crime scene remains in place on the high street as officers carry out their investigations

The report said: ‘Knife or sharp instrument offences continue to be concentrated in metropolitan areas across England and Wales, with around a third (34%) of all offences recorded by the police in London.’

The highest rate was also seen in London, with 179 offences per 100,000 population.

This compared with an England and Wales average of 82 offences per 100,000 population.

According to the latest statistics, assault with injury and assault with intent to cause serious harm offences, and robbery, each accounted for 44 per cent of all offences involving a knife or sharp instrument (20,333 and 20,159 respectively).

The ONS report added: ‘Offences involving knives or sharp instruments have been experiencing a rising trend since the year ending March 2014, although in recent years the rate of increase has slowed.’ 

The latest figures come as tributes were today paid to a talented saxophonist and a ‘caring’ and ‘beloved’ 18-year-old after they were fatally stabbed in two separate attacks in England this week.

Colton Bryan, who was in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene in a first floor maisonette in Redditch, Worcestershire, after emergency services were called to the property at around 9.30pm on July 15.  

West Mercia Police arrested a man in his 20s on suspicion of murder and the suspect, from Redditch, was detained by armed officers. 

Just hours earlier Ahmed Yasin-Ali was found injured in a separate attack in Elmfield Way, Maida Vale, west London at around 12.30am, the Metropolitan Police said. 

Today, distraught friends of Mr Bryan described their ‘shock’ at his death and paid homage to ‘the nicest guy around’. 

A forensic team carry out investigations after a man in his 30s was stabbed in Lytton Avenue

A section of the residential road is cordoned off as police and forensic teams carry out their investigations

Police officers arrived to the scene at 4.45am following reports that four men were engaged in a fight 

Forensic teams arrive to the scene on Friday morning after a man was rushed to North Middlesex Hospital with a stab wound

The talented saxophonist, who regularly played at venues across the region, had released tracks on Spotify and a music video on YouTube.  

Mr Bryan also worked at Caribbean takeaway Jerk and Punch where, tonight, a ‘massive get together’ was set to be held.

The organisers said: ‘We’re having a massive get together tonight to say farewell to Colton. 6pm in the car wash outside of Jerk and Punch. 

‘Anyone who knew Colton wanting to say their goodbyes – we’re going to be blasting out his talent on the speakers and cooking up some jerk chicken.’ 

Following Mr Bryan’s death, floral tributes have been laid near the scene of the incident and his friends and loved ones have paid tribute to the ‘kind, caring and compassionate’ individual. 

One friend wrote: ‘RIP Colton Bryan. People are too quick to carry a knife or a weapon and are too eager to end lives these days. What is this world coming to?’

Colton Bryan, who was in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene after police were called to a property in Redditch, Worcestershire at around 9.30pm on July 15

The talented saxophonist was pronounced dead at the scene in a first floor maisonette in Redditch

Police officers patrol the area after the attack on July 15 which saw a man in his 20s arrested on suspicion of murder

‘Never thought I’d wake up to this. Absolutely heartbreaking. RIP Colton. You had so much going for you with so much potential waiting to be released. The nicest guy I have known, the world was too cruel for you. My thoughts are with your friends and family,’ added another friend.

Another heartbroken friend said: ‘Just woke up to find out the awful news about Colton Bryan. I am in absolute shock. One of the nicest guys around and unbelievable on the saxophone. So much going for him and taken far too young.’

While another added: ‘Honestly can’t put into words how distraught we all are. You will forever be missed and always in our hearts. You were so kind, caring and compassionate and always put others before yourself. 

‘We have shared a lot of laughs and adventures and it is soul destroying that there’s no more to come. 

‘People are sick and twisted and this world isn’t what it should be. So much talent but taken way too soon. We will always cherish what you left. RIP a true underrated legend.’

A neighbour previously told BirminghamLive how she gave Mr Bryan first aid for 20 minutes in his living room and cradled him in her arms before the emergency services arrived.

She said: ‘I heard screaming and first of all thought he’d just had a row with his girlfriend, but it went on and on and got louder so I thought I’d better go round.

‘The door then opened and a man came out, barged past me and ran down the stairs. He was dressed all in black and had a mask over his face and was bleeding.

‘I went inside and it was like something from a horror movie – there was blood everywhere – on the walls, floor, everywhere. A man was lying on the sofa drenched in blood.

‘He had a cut on his hand, but the big one was in his chest, so I put the towel over that, kept pressing down and lay next to him on the sofa and cradled him and tried to keep him talking.

‘It took about 20 minutes for the ambulance to come and then they came in and took over. They got him on the living room floor and gave him CPR, but it was too late, he was already dead, he had died in my arms.’  

Armed officers arrested a man in his 20s on suspicion of murder at an address in Redditch at around noon on Thursday.    

Detective Inspector Mark Walters said: ‘A man is now in police custody who has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

‘The victim’s family are being supported by specially trained officers at what is understandably a very traumatic and upsetting time.’ 

Dr Simon Harding, director of the National Centre for Gang Research at the University of West London, and a former Home Office and Metropolitan police adviser – told The Guardian in May: ‘We’re going to have the backwash of everything that’s happened over the last two months.

‘There’s a crimewave coming, a tsunami on the way.’ 

Source: Read Full Article